John P. “Jack” O’Hale focuses his practice on criminal litigation and presenting a vigorous trial defense for his clients. For over thirty years, he has handled a variety of white-collar, business, and tax-related matters. He routinely argues before the United States District Court and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Jack is regularly listed in Best Lawyers in America for his criminal defense acumen. He also appears frequently in Business North Carolina‘s “Legal Elite,” a peer-reviewed group that represents only 3 percent of North Carolina’s lawyers.
Jack is heavily involved in community and professional organizations. From 2001 until 2009, he served on the Johnston County Board of Education. He is a member of the University of North Carolina School of Law Alumni Association Board of Directors, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, and is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
Jack lives in Smithfield with his wife and began practicing law with his son, Frank, in the fall of 2016.
Phone: (919) 934-6021
Fax: (919) 934-0417
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A. in Political Science, Phi Beta Kappa, 1972)
University of North Carolina School of Law (J.D., 1975)
North Carolina; United States District Court, Eastern District of N.C.; U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit; U.S. Supreme Court
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Rated by Super Lawyers as one of North Carolina’s Best 10 Lawyers (2017)
- Rated by Super Lawyers as one of Raleigh’s Best 25 Lawyers (2017)
- Rated by Super Lawyers as one of North Carolina’s Best 100 Lawyers (since 2006)
- Listed in Business North Carolina as “Legal Elite” in criminal law
- Board Certified Specialist in Federal and State Criminal Law
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Criminal Justice Section, North Carolina Bar Association, (2000-2004)
- President, Johnston County Bar Association (1996)
- President, Eleventh Judicial District Bar (1994)
- Assistant District Attorney, Eleventh Judicial District (1976-1979)
- Member, Johnston County Board of Education (2001-2009)
- Board of Directors, University of North Carolina School of Law Alumni Association (2001- Present)